Sheffield Window

The main stained glass window is one of the most striking features of the church.  It was originally a memorial to servicemen and women of the First World War in St Clement’s Church, Newhall, in the Diocese of Sheffield, England.   The window survived two severe air raids on Sheffield in the Second World War, but St Clement's suffered badly.

When St Clement’s was demolished in 1963 the window was made available to All Saints, mainly through the efforts of the late Lady de L’Isle, wife of the then Governor-General. It was dedicated here in 1967.  The window features the crucified Christ, flanked by Mary, Mother of Jesus, and St John the Baptist.

The five figures across the bottom are St Clement, the prophet Isaiah, St Michael, King David, and St Peter. There are many other depictions of angels and other saints in the intricate detail.

(War Memorials in Australia have a page dedicated to our Memorial Window, and we thank them for this)

 

Details of the Plaque on south wall
WAR MEMORIAL WINDOW
 THE EAST END WINDOW WAS DEDICATED
ON REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY, 12TH NOVEMBER, 1967,
BY THE VENERABLE F. M. HILL, TH.L.,
ARCHDEACON OF CANBERRA,
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF
THOSE OF THIS PARISH AND DISTRICT
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR,
1939 - 1945.
THIS MEMORIAL PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED BY
HIS EXCELLENCY
SIR CHARLES JOHNSTON, K.C.M.G.,
HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR THE UNITED KINGDOM.                                                                                  

THE REVEREND N.J. CHYNOWETH, M.A., TH.L.
H.S. CLARKE
C. J. WADIE.
W. L. PERRY
WARDENS

sheffield_window.jpg

 

 

Copyright © 2017 All Saints Ainslie. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.
#