The font
Our font stands in the north aisle. It holds the holy water used for the Sacrament of Baptism. Beside the font stands the paschal candle.

Our font was formerly the chimney stone from a fireplace which was established in the waiting room of the original mortuary station. It was taken away in 1897 when the line was extended and the stonework incorporated into buildings on another station. The chimney stone was recovered with the other stones in 1958 and it was decided it would make an admirable font.

A new paschal candle is blessed and first lit every year on Easter night in the darkened church. This represents the resurrected light of Christ coming into a world of darkness. It remains lit for every service during the fifty days of the Easter season, and during baptism, confirmation, and funeral services.

 
 

Copyright © 2017 All Saints Ainslie. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.
#